Sawdust as Raw Material for Biomass Pellets
As a by-product from wood sawing process, sawdust doesnot have much application because of its low burning efficient. However, it is an especially suitable feedstock for pelletizing. The lignin, naturally present in the wood, acts as a glue to hold the pellet together. A high quality pellet is dry, hard and durable with low amounts of ash remaining after combustion. Therefore, sawdust pelletizing provides a new way to divert wood waste into fuel to increase overall profit through an integral and more efficient use of the raw material. Sawdust pellet applications vary from household heating to large-scale industrial power generation.
Typical Properties of Biomass Pellets from Different Sources
|Feedstock||Bulk density (kg/M3)||Energy content (MJ/kg)||Ash content (%)|
What Should be Considered before Sawdust Pelletizing?
* Materials collection. First, you need a car to deliver the sawdust to the production site. Actually, the transmission fee is a big problem for cost saving. Long distance transmission is not advisable for use.
* Particle size. The sawdust length affects the pelletizing efficiency directly, which should be less than 6mm. Otherwise, it can block the pellet mill sometimes.
* Moisture content. If too dry, the pellets are loose in shape which is easy to break for hand touch. Too wet materials can not make pellets or make the pellets slip. If necessary, a dryer is used to dry the sawdust.
1T/H Sawdust Pellet Plant Production Process
Sawdust → Crushing → Drying → Pelletizing → Cooling → Packaging
1. Sawdust Crushing
Particle size directly affects the pelletizing effect, a wood hammer mill is used here to reduce the sawdust size. For the 1t/h output, our CF500B model with the capacity of 800-1100kg/h is recommended. It is consist of feeding hopper, crushing chamber and delivery device. The key parts is inner rotating rotor fixed with hammers. Sawdust is swallowed and crushed by rotating hammers. With continuous hitting force from hammers, sawdust break into small wood particles until small enough to pass through the screen holes.
Wood Hammer Mill Specification
|Model||Power||Voltage||Capacity||Screen Size||Cross Dimension|
|CF500B||22kw||three phase 380v/50H||800-1100kg/h||820*390mm||124*97*106cm|
The perfect moisture content for pelletizing is 10-15%. At this situation, the pellets are best in quality and good in shape. Rotary drum dryer is important and indispensable drying equipment in the production of wood pellets or briquettes, which can dry the high moisture content of sawdust to be optimal for pelletizing. Besides, sawdust go through dryer can improve biomass fuel efficiency of 5-15% and lower down emission.
Rotary Drum Dryer Technical Parameters
|Model||Capacity||Drum dia.||Drum length||Transmission power|
Pelletizing is the core procedure in sawdust pellet production line. 420 model ring die wood pellet mill is adopted in this pellet plant, which is usually equipped with 8mm, 10mm and 12mm ring dies, because the fuel pellets with diameter of 8mm, 10mm and 12mm are more favorable for combustion. Also, ring dies with other hole diameters can be chosen according to your requirements.
Features of Ring Die Wood Pellet Mill
* Unique forced feeder, reinforced transmission parts, special customized ring die, roller and hoop.
* High-precision main gear transmission, stable and reliable operation.
* Imported high quality bearings and oil sealing, efficient, stable and little noisy running.
* Forced feeder is controlled by frequency variable motor, ensuring final sawdust pellets quality.
* Snakelike spring coupling is adopted, novel and compact structure, low noise and low fault rate.
Ring Die Wood Pellet Mill Specification
|Model||Capacity||Main power||Feeding auger power||Conditioner power||Ring die inner Dia.|
After the pelletizing process, the sawdust pellets are high in temperature (80-90℃) and moisture content (about 17-18%). Therefore, a wood pellet cooler is needed to reduce the pellets temperature to about 3~5℃ above ambient temperature, and reduce the moisture content to 12%~13%, which is better for storage. Adopts international advanced counter flow cooling technology, the counter flow type pellet cooler generates a premium effect of maintaining integrity of the pellets in the working process.
Wood Pellet Cooler Technical Data
As the last procedure in sawdust pellet making process, packaging is also important to protect the pellets from damp and dust. We assemble our Automatic Weighing & Packing System for you. It adopts highly intelligent control system, with stable performance and high precision. Combines with the delivery device and the intelligent arm operation tool, it can realize integrative packaging of wood pellets.
Automatic Weighing & Packing System Specification
|Model||Weighing Extent||Packaging Error||Dimension|
Why Choose Sawdust Fuel Pellets?
* Cost effective. The price of sawdust pellets is much lower and it is less affected by inflation than fossil fuel and other heating alternatives.
* Environmentally sustainable. It is a renewable fuel source with no binders, chemicals, or dangerous additives that could be harmful to you or the environment. After burning, the impact is carbon neutral, and the ash can be used as fertilizer.
* High calorific value. After pelletizing, the bulk density is greaty increased. Heating a certain amount of sawdust pellets can generate more heat than burning the sawdust directly.
* Convenient to use. Sawdust pellets are easy to light and they can be directly burnt in pellet stoves. In addition, sawdust pellets can be easily packed and transported.
* Easy to store. After pelletizing, the volume is largly reduced. They can be packaged to stack neatly.
1T/H Sawdust Pellet Plant Application
Raw Materials Application:
Besides the sawdust, it is also applicable for processing the raw materials like bark, wood shavings, wood chips, crop straw, rice husk, sunflower husk, peanut shell, corn stover, olive pomace, giant king grass, and some chemical materials.
This sawdust pellet line is widely applied in biomass power station, combined heat and power plants, wood processing factory, fuel plant, metallurgy and chemical engineering plant, etc.